Ophthalmologist John P. Fang
Dr. John P. Fang
Dr. John Fang earned his medical degree from Vanderbilt University, after receiving Bachelor of Science degrees in both Biomedical Engineering and Chemical Engineering from Johns Hopkins University, graduating with general and departmental honors. At the Mayo Clinic, he completed an internship in medicine and a residency in ophthalmology, and served as co-chief resident in his final year. A subsequent fellowship in cornea, anterior segment, and refractive surgery at Baylor College of Medicine further refined his surgical skills. Throughout his training, Dr. Fang has received numerous awards including the Gill Scholarship for Ophthalmology Research and the National Eye Institute Fellowship award.
Dr. Fang is board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and is a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He is also a member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society. Prior to joining Miramar Eye Specialists, Dr. Fang was an attending ophthalmologist at the Dean McGee Eye Institute, the Department of Ophthalmology for the University of Oklahoma, where he helped educate and train new residents and fellows.
Ophthalmologist Dr. John Fang specializes in medical and surgical treatment of diseases affecting the cornea of the eye, cataract and intraocular lens implant surgery, and refractive laser surgery such as LASIK and PRK. Dr. Fang is one of the first physicians in Ventura County who uses Cornea Cross-linking to keep patients with Keratoconus (KC). He also has a particular interest in cornea transplantation, ocular surface disorders, dry eye syndrome, contact lens intolerance, and surgical correction of myopia, hyperopia, regular and irregular astigmatism. He is delighted to share his expertise in cornea, cataract, and refractive care with the Ventura County community. Dr. Fang speaks Mandarin and Basic Spanish.
Selected publications and presentations include:
- Fang JP, Amesur KB, Baratz KH. Pre-existing endothelial abnormalities in bilateral postoperative Descemet membrane detachment. Arch Ophthalmol 2003;121:903-904.
- Fang JP, Baratz KH, Hodge DO. Trends in the incidence rate of cataract extraction in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Presented at: Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Annual Meeting. Ft. Lauderdale, FL, May, 2003
- Fang JP, Baratz KH. Comparison between fibrin glue and sutures to attach preserved human amniotic membranes to rabbit corneas. Presented at: Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Annual Meeting. Ft. Lauderdale, FL, April, 2004
- Fang JP, Hill W, Wang L, Chang V, Koch DD. (2006) Advanced IOL calculations. In: Kohnen T, Koch DD, eds. Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 2nd ed. Berlin, Germany: Springer.
- Fang JP, Hamill MB. Early visual results after Descemet’s stripping posterior lamellar keratoplasty for Fuch’s endothelial dystrophy. Presented at: The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Symposium & Congress. San Francisco, CA, March, 2006
- Fang JP, Wang L, Koch DD. Effect of iris registration on visual outcome. Presented at: The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Symposium & Congress. San Francisco, CA, March, 2006
Schedule your appointment today!
To schedule an appointment with Miramar Doctors, contact Miramar Eye Specialists Medical Group today!