Ophthalmologist Sanket U. Shah
Dr. Sanket U. Shah
Dr. Sanket U. Shah is a board certified Ophthalmologist with a specialization in medical and surgical diseases of the retina and the vitreous. He received his medical degree from the Seth G. S. Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital in Mumbai, India. He spent two years pursuing a research fellowship in ocular oncology at the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, PA; and a second research fellowship in retina at the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA in Los Angeles, CA. His training includes an internship in internal medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine - Jacobi Medical Center in Bronx, NY, followed by residency in Ophthalmology at the Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis, IN, where he served as the chief resident and received several awards. He then completed his fellowship training in vitreoretinal surgery and medical diseases of the retina at the prestigious Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA in Los Angeles, CA.
Dr. Shah is Board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. He is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Retina Specialists. He has served as a co-investigator on several national clinical trials and participated in numerous research projects spanning topics including diabetic retinopathy, vitreoretinal interface abnormalities, macular degeneration, automated retinal image analysis, optical coherence tomography, uveal melanoma, and retinoblastoma. He has received the National Eye Institute travel grant to present his research. He has over 35 peer-reviewed publications in national and international journals, 1 book chapter, and several abstracts, oral, video and poster presentations to his credit. He has served as a reviewer for articles in peer-reviewed journals such as Ophthalmology and the American Journal of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Shah's full list of publications is available here >>.
Honors & Awards:
- Sir J.R.D. Tata and Ratan Tata scholarships during medical school (2006, 2008, 2009)
- Indian Council of Medical Research studentship awards (2007, 2008)
- Award for the best article on EyeWiki in the Retina and Vitreous category titled Vitreomacular Traction Syndrome (2013)
- Best Resident Research Paper Award, Indiana University Department of Ophthalmology (2015)
- Merrill Grayson Leadership Award, Indiana University Department of Ophthalmology (2016)
- David May II Fellowship Award, UCLA Stein Eye Institute (2016)
- Abe Meyer Memorial Fellowship Award, UCLA Stein Eye Institute (2017)
Dr. Shah Hospital Affiliations:
- Community Memorial Hospital, Ventura
- Ventura County Medical Center, Ventura
- Los Robles Hospital and Medical Center, Thousand Oaks
Services Dr. Shah provides include management of:
- Retinal vein occlusion, Retinal tears and holes,
- Retinal detachment, Retinal dystrophy & degeneration
- Vitreous hemorrhage
- Macular hole, Macular pucker (Epiretinal membrane)
- Macular degeneration
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Dislocated lens
Dr. Shah speaks conversational Spanish, and is fluent in Hindi, Gujarati, and Marathi.