Ophthalmologist Steven Carter
Dr. Steven L. Carter, M.D.
Steven L. Carter, M.D. practices comprehensive ophthalmology, treating a wide variety of ocular diseases, both medically and surgically. He takes pride in providing the highest level of compassionate care to all his patients. Dr. Carter has volunteered with Surgical Eye Expeditions (SEE), International since 2010, an organization dedicated to providing sight restoring cataract surgeries to underserved people throughout the world, and he is proficient in medical Spanish. He is a member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, as well as the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He has published several articles in peer-reviewed ophthalmic journals and presented at national conferences.
Dr. Carter received his medical degree from the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine. He completed his ophthalmology residency at the Gavin Herbert Eye Institute at the University of California, Irvine, where he served as chief resident. During residency, he was the first resident at UC Irvine to be selected emergency room consultant of the month, which he was awarded for excellent communication and teamwork with the emergency department. Prior to medical school, he received a B.A. in music with an emphasis on jazz and a B.S. in mathematics and economics at the University of California, San Diego, where he graduated magna cum laude with honors.
Outside of ophthalmology, Dr. Carter enjoys surfing, camping, waterskiing, travel, and playing the saxophone.
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology
- Cataract Surgery (Refractive and Femtosecond Laser Assisted)
- Pterygium Surgery with Conjunctival Autograft or Amniotic Membrane Transplant
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery
- Pai A, Carter S, Ediriwickrema LS. Bilateral Disc Edema Masquerade. JAMA Ophthalmol. Published online August 05, 2021
- Nadel A, Carter S, Hakimi AA, Dallalzadeh L, Hakim M, Garg S. Prospective evaluation of an iOSbased Mobile application to detect corneal injury. Am J Emerg Med. 2021 Mar 14
- Knight D, Wang A, Tsao S, Carter S, Mehta M. Small gauge techniques for removing a fluocinolone acetonide implant. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2020 Dec 31.
- Bhatter P, Cypen S, Carter S, Tao J. Pharmaceutical and supply waste in oculofacial plastic surgery at a hospital-based outpatient surgery center. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2020 Nov 19.
- Carter S, Xie K, Knight D, Minckler D, Kedhar S. Granulomatous Uveitis and Conjunctivitis Due to Common Variable Immune Deficiency: A Case Report. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2019;27(7):1124-1126.
- Zhang Z, Thomas LW, Leu SY, Carter S, Garg S. Refractive outcomes of intraoperative wavefront aberrometry versus optical biometry alone for intraocular lens power calculation. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2017 Sep;65(9):813-817.
- Carter S, Vu T, Vu P, Mehta U, Bhatter P, White K, Marshall K, Mittal A, Chhadva P, Rao K, Farid M. Contact lens use and meibomian gland loss assessed by meibography. Paper podium presentation at: The Annual Meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery; 2021 July 23-27; Las Vegas, NV.
- Carter S, Mehta U, Smith R, Knezevic A, Vu P, Marshall K, Rao K, Farid M. Contact lens association with meibomian gland dysfunction in the era of meibography. Paper podium presentation at: The Annual Meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery; 2020 May 16-17; Virtual Meeting.
- Knight D, Tsao S, Carter S, Mehta M, Kuppermann B. Dynamic Changes in Temperature and Condensation on Intraocular Lenses During Air-Fluid Exchange. Poster presented at: The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology; 2018 April 29 – May 3; Honolulu, HI.
- Cai J, Xie K, Liang E, Vu P, Carter S, Yee A, Farid M. In quest of a novel artificial cornea using biomimetic nanotopography: initial studies in the New Zealand white rabbit. Poster presented at: The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology; 2018 April 29 – May 3; Honolulu, HI.
- Carter S, Oakey Z, Garg S, Farid M, Wade M. DMEK: Possible Improvements in Refractive Power and Astigmatism and Further Evidence for an Improving Surgical Technique. Paper podium presentation at: The Annual Meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery; 2017 May 5-9; Los Angeles, CA.