Halloween Contact Lenses - Be aware of their Hazards
Halloween is a great holiday where both adults and kids can participate and have fun, be creative, crafty, engage their imagination and talents. However as in any activity, safety needs to be considered. As eye care professionals, we would like to warn about hazards of specialty contact lenses that are nowadays used to enhance Halloween costumes.
5 Must-Knows About Halloween Contacts
- To buy them, you need a prescription from a qualified eye care professional — even if they're just for looks and aren't correcting your vision.
- Retailers who sell Halloween contacts but don't require an Rx are selling them illegally. Don't trust illegal sources! Often they sell non-sterile or expired lenses. They don't care about your eyes — they just want your money.
- As with other contact lenses, you must clean Halloween contacts properly and store them in a clean case. Your eye care professional can provide instructions.
- Never, ever, ever share them with anyone. This can lead to serious eye problems.
- The most popular costumes that incorporate Halloween contacts are zombies, vampires and aliens.
Other helpful advice and warnings are contained in the links below: